This post was seen on this morning’s Eye Opener on The CW.
Mornings can be tough on parents! During an average morning, you’re not only trying to make yourself presentable to the world, but also make your little ones appear well-cared for (and not neglected).
While brushing your teeth and trying to find “that shirt” in the pile of folded laundry, you’re also breaking up sibling fights and begging your oldest to please put on some pants for the 3rd time. The last thing you want to add to your morning is a layer of mommy guilt because you’re shoving them out the door with a bowl of sugary cereal.
If any of this sounds familiar, here’s a few quick and easy breakfast ideas the whole family will love that are sure to help improve your morning!
Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Squares
This tasty oatmeal square is an easy breakfast option or a great after-school snack. For added variety, consider adding in anything from chocolate chips to a can of pureed organic pumpkin.
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 large mashed banana
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Mix together the quick cooking oats, light brown sugar, baking powder, kosher salt and ground cinnamon.
- Add in the vanilla extract, milk and egg. Mix the ingredients together.
- Add in the mashed banana and peanut butter. Combine all of the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 8 by 8 inch metal baking pan. Bake at 350F degrees for 20 minutes.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Berry Breakfast Smoothie
This easy and delicious breakfast smoothie will serve 2 adults — or 1 adult and two children.
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 packet of Kura Protein Smoothie Powder
1/2 cup fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
1/2 cup fresh or frozen (not thawed) strawberries
1/2 of a frozen banana
1/2 cup fresh spinach (optional)
3 ice cubes, (only if using fresh fruit)
- Add ingredients to blender and puree until smooth. Adjust consistency as needed with additional almond milk.
Packaged Breakfast “On The Go”
You don’t have to DIY your breakfast for it to be delicious and healthy. A few of our favorite “go to” breakfast items include Kashi, Happy Foods, Stonyfield, and Kind. And while it might seem like some of these are great for our kids’ breakfast menus, they’re actually perfect “on the go” breakfasts for adults too. Give these a try the next time you’re at your local grocer:
- Kashi Chewy Granola Bars : Made from natural ingredients and 7 whole grains, their flavors include Trail Mix, Honey Almond Flax, Cherry Dark Chocolate, and Peanut Peanut Butter. Can be found at (most) Kroger, Tom Thumb, Sprouts, and Target stores.
- Stonyfield Organic : A favorite brand whose products are made from organic, nonfat yogurt. Adults can choose from their variety of Fruit on the Bottom cups or Smoothie flavors. Kids can choose from a selection of real fruit yogurt products like sMOOthies, Squeezers yogurt tubes, and yogurt pouches. Can be found at almost all retailers and grocery stores.
- Happy Foods : A Dallas Moms Blog favorite for baby, toddlers, and kids. Many of their products contain organic superfoods, fruit, vegetables and some even contain Salba and probiotics. Kids love the greek yogurt pouches and Super Nutrition Shakes and Tots love the Morning breakfast blend & greek yogurt pouches.
- Kind Healthy Grain Bars : Made from all natural nuts, fruits, and 6 whole grains, their flavors include Dark Chocolate Chunk, Maple Pumpkin Seeds with Sea Salt, Oats and Honey with Toasted Coconut, Vanilla Blueberry, and Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate. In Dallas, you’ll find these mostly at your local Walmart or Racetrac, but don’t be surprised to see them at HEB and a few select sports/nutrition stores.
Do you have some favorite simple and easy breakfast ideas?
Share in the comments below!