Today I’m sharing a recipe that I’ve been making for our family several years now and that’s become an absolute staple during the holidays. It’s great for a get together and perfect for Christmas Day! What is it? Chocolate bread pudding. Sure, there’s regular bread pudding – but for Christmas, shouldn’t it be kicked up a notch? This recipe is really fairly simple, but somehow tastes decadent. I think that’s what I like about it most – there’s no hunting all over the grocery store during the holidays for fancy ingredients. You may already have all of this in your kitchen!
I absolutely love making this and sharing it with everyone once dinner is over. No matter how full everybody is, trust me, there’s always room for chocolate bread pudding. Serve it up warm with some whipped cream, and ahhh…
Here is what you’ll need:
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 loaf white bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 pint heavy cream, whipped
- To save myself time (and whipping), I omit the pint of heavy cream and just buy a tub of Cool Whip.
- Be sure to follow Step 3 in the directions – it’s crucial for the bread to soak up all that chocolate sauce!
- This recipe is perfect to make the night before – just stick it in the fridge and take it out when you’re ready to bake in the oven.
- Most important tip of all? The directions! You can find them here.
If you do make this recipe to share with family and friends, let us know how it turns out! Have any of your own yummy holiday recipes? There’s nothing better than discovering a new one that becomes an instant classic. Have yourself a Merry, Chocolate-y Christmas.