Dallas Moms Blog has partnered with the San Antonio Visitors Bureau to bring you this informational post on all the fun and exciting things San Antonio has waiting for you. More importantly, we couldn’t turn down an INCREDIBLE giveaway for our readers. All opinions are our own.
While browsing Facebook yesterday, 4 words popped up into my newsfeed that caused my heart to race a little faster.
4 Weeks Until School
What?! How can this be?? This summer feels like it’s only just began and we’ve barely scratched through our summer bucket list. Looking back, I’m not quite sure what we’ve done these last few months, but it’s probably time to start being strategic with how we spend the last few weeks. While we’ve hit up the usual summertime spots – local parks, indoor play spaces, splash pads – what we’ve missed out on is some serious family fun. There’s no time to plan something big, so we’re going to head South to our favorite destination and Visit San Antonio.
It’s been a few years since our last trip and at the time our oldest (and only) son was just over 2 years old. This time, we’ll need to accommodate the needs of THREE boys ages 5.5 years and under. Which is exactly what I love about San Antonio! It’s a city filled with activities, entertainment, and culture that’ll appeal to kids of all ages and adults.
If you’re thinking about a last minute trip this summer, here’s a few reasons why you should put San Antonio at the top of your bucket list!
Experience a Culture Outside of Dallas
I love Dallas, but let’s face it, there’s not a lot of history. Less than a 5 hour drive away, you can be immersed in Texas history. San Antonio has become the center for Hispanic, Tejano, Latino, and Native American Culture. While you don’t have to look far, here’s a couple of destinations you might want to make part of your trip to embrace the city’s heritage:
- Witte Museum: Recently named one a Smithsonian Institution Affiliate in 2014, the Witte Museum has become one of San Antonio’s most popular attractions for science and history. Similar to what you might remember being the old Dallas Museum of Nature & Science in Fair Park, the Witte Museum offers traveling exhibits and amazing children’s exhibits for learning and exploration.
- La Villita Historic Arts District: La Villita is San Antonio’s first neighborhood! Now an art community, you can walk the shops and stalls, enjoy delicious restaurants, and all set to the backdrop of San Antonio’s missions.
- Market Square – El Mercado: If you’re searching for Tex-Mex, look no further. This 3 block plaza is a prime spot to catch some live music and do a little souvenir shopping, but it’s Mi Tierra Cafe & Bakery that will really draw you in. This famous restaurant is open 24 hours a day and is decorated in floor to ceiling Fiesta (Christmas lights). Mariachi bands will drown out any loud children, and their freshly baked sweets (pan dulces) from the bakery are the perfect treat for the car rides home.
Swim with the Dolphins
BRAND NEW to SeaWorld San Antonio is their new dolphin habitat, Discovery Point. This huge expansion now offers underwater views of the dolphins’ swimming and playing. They’ve added on a large learning aquarium where families can explore coral reefs and learn more about other aquatic creatures. But the biggest selling feature? SeaWorld San Antonio is the ONLY place in Texas where you can jump in and swim with the dolphins. These signature swims are by reservation only (and you have to be at least 6 years old, 48″ tall for safety), but allow you to spend up to 30 minutes interacting with the incredible animals.
Be a Tourist
San Antonio is one of the few places where it’s perfectly normal to wrap your giant Canon camera around your neck, strap on that fanny pack, and head out on the town. Okay, maybe not the fanny pack… Even though San Antonio is filled with tourist destinations, the sites are well worth seeing. As a native Texan, I’m proud to return as often as possible to places like the Alamo and the Riverwalk. Other places we’ve found enjoyable and less crowded are the Missions in San Antonio’s Historical Park and Tower of the Americas near Downtown.
Discover New Ways To Play
It’s Texas. So chances are on your vacation you’ll catch a flash flood OR get stuck in unbearable heat. While there’s some great outdoor family destinations you won’t want to miss (like Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Splashtown San Antonio), at some point you may need to head inside. If you have littles, San Antonio’s newest The DoSeum is a large interactive museum focused specifically on kids– and a great place to kill a few hours of time! Other destinations we’re trying to decide between… Morgan’s Wonderland, Natural Bridge Caverns, and the San Antonio Zoo.
Looking for a Mom Escape
After 8 weeks of trying to entertain 3 little ones, I think I’m most looking forward to enjoying a little time away from our daily routine. No beds to make. No dishes to do. and NO laundry. But if I’m really lucky, I’m hoping my husband will let me escape reality for at least an hour by enjoying a little “mommy” me time at a spa. So, of course, we’re looking at hotel options that provide comfortable rooms, in-house entertainment, and restaurants all on-property so that we can be ready for all types of relaxation. Any recommendations on the places we’re exploring?
- La Cantera Resort & Spa ($$)
- Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk ($$)
- Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa ($)
- Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort & Spa ($$)
- JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa ($$$)
When it comes to vacations, I get antsy. Just trying to plan out all that we’re looking forward to makes me all that much more excited to pack up and head out! If you’re ready to give your family an unforgettable late summer adventure in San Antonio, make sure to book now! You can learn more about all of the above attractions and destinations on the premier vacation planning website, Visit San Antonio – created by the San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. It’s here that you can read Yelp reviews, browse vacation plans ideal for your family, and more!
While you’re exploring your options, let your kiddos hop on and play San Antonio Summer Thrill Chaser – the only San Antonio game that allows you to win a one-of-a-kind San Antonio prize pack just for posting your score! Simply play the game, then tweet your score or share it on Facebook with the #ThrillChaser hashtag, and you could win. It’s that easy!
But, that’s not all. . .
Win a Family Vacation to San Antonio!
In partnership with the San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau, Dallas Moms Blog is giving away an INCREDIBLE vacation to ONE lucky reader’s family. Use the form below to enter to win a 2 night stay at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort & Spa* with Four tickets to:
- Sea World San Antonio and Aquatica
- San Antonio Museum of Art
- San Antonio Botanical Center
- San Antonio Double decker tour bus
- Alamo Plaza Attractions (Guinness World Records, Ripley’s Haunted Adventure, Tomb Rider3d, Mirror Maze, The Vault)
AND a $250 gift card to help offset travel expenses!
Um…that’s so awesome! What are you waiting for?? Good Luck!!
Disclosures: *Hotel is based on availability. Some attractions are seasonal, and winners should check schedules prior to making travel plans. All images above are courtesy of Visit San Antonio.